Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Where does Mizzonk Inspiration Series come from?

Most of you know that we used to make architectural models and custom fabricate prototypes for architects and designers. Those days were way back when we were in Brooklyn, New York before moving to Maple Ridge, BC in 2002.  I remember in those years we worked hard to connect with architects. We thought to ourselves if we could design something to inspire them, then they will remember us.  Therefore, we created a bunch of material studies which can be served as samples for our clients. The most impressive attempt to inspire award winning high-profiled architects was the Mail Art (introduced in a different format in 2009 as Mizzonk Diary 2001).

After the Mail Art was sent out, I remember one day we got a phone call from Elizabeth Wright Ingraham, a granddaughter of Frank Lloyd Wright. She was one of the people on our list whom we wanted to connect through the Mail Art. She asked me: "Who are you?" and "Do you know what you have done?" "I got this amazing piece of art in the mail and I have to find out who these people are?" I was speechless.... and more of similar phone calls rang as the Mail Art reached to our recipients. I also remembered we received a couple of FedEx of blue prints from different Manhattan based architecture firms requesting for quotations. Those firms didn't need any introduction of our studio. The Mail Art they received was enough for them. We had huge trust and respect from our clients.  Even till today Roger and I still feel so lucky that we connect to people through our work.

At that time in our Brooklyn Studio, besides The Mail Art, we created different material studies to satisfy our imagination, also can be served as samples to show our clients. There were cut-outs, engravings of geometric shapes on materials such as acrylic, paper, cardboard and anything that we could experiment on.  I also did a series of paper sculpture, casual and fun.  We loved so many experiments that we did. We were inspired. Some of those pieces have become the "Mizzonk Inspiration Series" that you see now. We named the series "Inspiration" because it is a tribute to those material studies which were created to inspire ourselves and others.

Naming each piece in the Inspiration Series was the most exciting moment for us. Each title completes the artwork. We would smile at the title we picked. All the titles are fun, serious, gentle, and.... maybe you have different thoughts that you can share with us....

Here is what we think of each piece:

A Moment in Blossom                   A moment captured and remembered forever.

Silent Melodies                             Instantaneous sensation perceived by the eye and played with the mind.

Rhythm of the 20 Degrees Turn     We exist in rhythm of everything.

The Rolling Square                        Our minds can do wonders including rolling a square.

Where are you?                            The act of searching for who we are, where we are and what we are in
                                                    the unknown cosmos.

                                                                                         We love you all-        Wan-Yi and Roger

No comments: